Tuesday, February 26, 2013

the flip has switched

 
every February
around this time
the "spring is coming"
switch is flipped to on.
 
like, high beam on
blinding me of all other creative hobbies and pastimes.
the gluesticks and collage papers
lie on the table
waiting for me to remember them
and how important they are for balance in my life.
 
i am nose high in a stack of
delicious books with the titles
The Healing Garden
Gardens for the Soul
Guerilla Gardening
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Composting
Soil Mates
Common Ground
 
i vibrate with the hope and potential that lies ahead of me in packets of seeds and empty garden bed. this has been an ongoing illumination for the past 10 years
and while i am still a baby gardener,
i make up for lack of results
with unbridled enthusiasm.
 
 
i of course am also faced with the sobering reality
that this body can't garden as it desires to
and after my dismal,
 take on way more than you can manage
gardening experience last spring,
i am working on strategies and supports to make this years garden
successful.
 
that means being vulnerable, becoming more collaborative,
trusting that i can lead and share my vision and garden intentions
and allow others to be my muscles.
this means sharing my limitations in order to receive the help that i need.
 
this means letting the very act of gardening,
the excitement and anticipation
 i feel each year is now another means to
 prune me,
 and shape me
  more into who i am becoming.
 
how awesome is that!
love!


4 comments:

  1. Ooo, love that picture! Is that this year, already? My snow pea seeds just went in the ground two days ago... And I can SO relate, especially (once again) this year, to one's enthusiasm outstripping one's stamina. By about 99-to-1, isn't it? And sometimes I don't even have the stamina for enthusiasm!

    Which brings to mind yet again: Regardless of the fundamental differences of our present conditions (mine being deliberately chosen, clearly purposeful, and of fixed duration), the gallantry with which you never cease to care and grow and live is an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that means being vulnerable, becoming more collaborative,
    trusting that i can lead and share my vision and garden intentions
    and allow others to be my muscles. // this means sharing my limitations in order to receive the help that i need.

    ... needed these syllables, Braveheart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for spring and gardens and fresh veggies. Dirt and worms and green. Blessings... you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This year I would like to just try and grow a few favourite things. Pobably green, kale and rocket for sure. I'm not really a grower but have had some success with these and I don't want to try and do too much! good luck, Heather x

    ReplyDelete