Monday, September 10, 2012

a shift

 
i had an encounter with a bear today
 i was completely safe
which allowed me to really experience him
for our brief minutes together
and instead of being terrified
as i would have been in the past
 
i felt only awe...
 
i noticed how shiny and midnight black his coat was
and when he looked at me with slight hesitancy and wariness
i looked right back at him and felt such a feeling of wonder spread through me.
 
i grew up with a serious fear of bears.
  a fear that was deep, consuming and persisitent.
 
today there were none of those feeling.
i felt no threat. no malice. just mutual curiosity.
 
 
i watched him lumber up the side of the hill and  i continued on my way down the hill
smiling at the unexpected gift that came to me.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment